[TUHS] roff(7) [ and other related stuff ]

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sun Jan 2 10:12:44 AEST 2022

On Sat, Jan 01, 2022 at 12:00:15PM -0800, Jon Steinhart wrote:
> This is my biggest issue with "modern software development".  Seems like every
> project has to begin with it's own language, build system, package manager,
> and so on.  Were I a modern software developer I'd create all that plus a new
> email client just to send this message :-)  None of this behavior adds value.
> It makes it so that practitioners have to learn many arcane incompatible
> systems that all do pretty much the same thing.

This.  This is it.  You and I must be the same kind of weird because when
I wanted a scripting language that wasn't TCL weirdness, I had a compiler
built that compiled stuff that so looked like C, I had a guy fix a bug in
a patch that flew by.

My big complaint with stuff like Rust, or even Go (sorry Rob), is that they
picked a different syntax.  Why not just use C syntax and extend it to do
what you want?  Why must every project redo everything.

--lm who has moved to full on "Get off my lawn"