[TUHS] SMP: BSD vs System V (once was: moving directories in svr2)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Jan 4 09:56:00 AEST 2022

On Monday,  3 January 2022 at 15:44:11 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 05:21:51PM -0600, Doug McIntyre wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 04:15:08PM -0500, Dan Cross wrote:
>> I'd agree, 2.4 was pretty slow and chunky, 2.5 was alright, but 2.5.1 was quite usable and stable.
>> Also by this time, the hardware was going in directions that SunOS wouldn't keep up with.
>
> Yeah, Doug is right, SunOS was pretty simple, it didn't really take advantage
> of SMP, Greg Limes tried to thread it but it was too big a job for one guy.
>
> That's not to say that SunOS couldn't have evolved into SMP, I'm 100%
> sure it could have.  It just didn't.  It's a shame.

An interesting question.  I had always thought that SMP was (one of?)
the technical reasons why Sun moved from a BSD to a System V base.
Since then, of course, we've done lots of work on SMP support for at
least FreeBSD.  Does anybody have an overview of how good the support
is compared to modern Solaris?  Is there any intrinsic reason why one
should be better than the other?

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.