[TUHS] moving directories in svr2

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Tue Jan 4 12:42:04 AEST 2022

On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 09:28:02PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 03:44:11PM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 05:21:51PM -0600, Doug McIntyre wrote:
> > > I'd agree, 2.4 was pretty slow and chunky, 2.5 was alright, but 2.5.1 was quite usable and stable.
> > > Also by this time, the hardware was going in directions that SunOS wouldn't keep up with.
> >
> > Yeah, Doug is right, SunOS was pretty simple, it didn't really take advantage
> > of SMP, Greg Limes tried to thread it but it was too big a job for one guy.
> >
> > That's not to say that SunOS couldn't have evolved into SMP, I'm 100%
> > sure it could have.  It just didn't.  It's a shame.
>
> I would have thought that if we consider the amount of engineering
> resources to that was invested to get from Solaris 2.0 to 2.5.1, if
> that had instead been invested into making SunOS a scalable SMP OS,
> that it would have been doable.  Do you think that's fair?

Yes, absolutely.  I worked in the kernel group in building 5.  That was
pretty much the best group of people I have been a part of.  That team
could have done anything, SMP was not a problem for them.  They for sure
could have made SunOS scale.  The people who didn't leave were the people
who made Solaris work.

That said, I have to give credit to the group of people I built who
did BitKeeper.  I'd stand them up against the Sun kernel team and they
would win.  Smaller group, stellar bunch of people.

I'm happy that I got to be part of both teams.