[TUHS] Mythical Distress Sale (was Re: moving directories in svr2)

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Wed Jan 5 01:17:35 AEST 2022

Rob, you've painted this picture before and it just doesn't match up
at all with what I saw.  I was there.  Ken Okin paid me for 6 months to
try and convince the execs to not go to SVR4.  If it was all sweetness
and light, why did he do that?

You make it sound like it was a nice friendly deal.  It was $200M of
Sun stock at 35% over market rate.  Who does that just to be friends?
You say you could have gone to market and gotten that, well, sure,
but not at 35% over market.

SunOS was winning all the deals, as you point out, Sun was growing
like crazy.  I did lots and lots of customer presentations and not once
did I hear "oh, when are you guys going to standardize on System V?"

Quite the opposite in fact.  I was doing a talk at the Moscone center
on the first Sun cluster that I had built, Scott refused to let me ship
it with SunOS, so I was being a good soldier and talking up Solaris.
Over and over and over I was asked why we were forcing people to use
an obviously worse OS and I finally lost it and said "I know, I have
everything working in SunOS but they won't let me ship it."

I was on tape.  Okin listened to the tape and said "get every copy of
those tapes and destroy them".  Not exactly the friendly everyone
agreeing picture you paint.  Not remotely like that.

Rob, I lived through that time.  One of my close friends, John Pope,
did the bring up.  He felt alienated from all the other kernel people
because we all loved SunOS and we hated Solaris, it made zero sense to
go that far backward.  And look what it got you.  Sun is gone.

If you could have gone to market and gotten the money, you would
have.  Sun was killing it, everyone wanted a Sun over every other
workstation, in the SunOS days, every open source thing just built
on Suns.  Everyone else had to twiddle the makefiles and the source.
Your story that people wanted a standard just doesn't hold up when
you were the standard.  It also doesn't hold up when every single
customer I talked to (and I talked to them at least twice a month
in formal presentations and frequently more like twice a week,
the sales people loved me) never asked for SVR4.  Not once did that
come up.  And when SVR4 was being pushed on them, 100% of them
pushed back and wanted SunOS.

--
---