[TUHS] SMP: BSD vs System V (once was: moving directories in svr2)

Stuart Remphrey stu at remphrey.net
Mon Jan 10 03:31:03 AEST 2022

There were others that also did Unix SMP (some on BSD). Encore offering
BSD, AT&T or Mach (their storage arrays contained a core cluster of 2 SMP
nodes, later bought by Sun); Sequent; and Pyramid dualPort OS/x around
1985/87.

Pyramid had dual-CPU 90Mx/98x and I think a single lock (memory fades a
bit). Later more fine-grained around the time of the 1-CPU 9810 up to 4-CPU
9845. Before eventually going to MIPS CPU SMPs, then adding MPP to the MIPS
range.

IIRC, this was on a mostly-BSD 4.2/4.3 base(?) when I worked in the Pyramid
team producing their POSIX threads library & parallel debugger (late 80s).

Although Pyramid did have their ATT "unverse" incorporated into the same
Unix, hence dualPort. So there was a bunch of SVR3/4 support included:
extra set of syscalls; u.u_universe to select which; conditional symbolic
links using u.u_universe to resolve to UCB or ATT paths for lib & bin dirs;
merged TTY driver with a superset of stty attributes; etc.

Apollo Domain had something similar to conditional symbolic links, but
expanding environment variables to determine the target path. Different
flexibility/overhead tradeoff.

I wonder if any dualPort or DC/OSx Pyramid source survives...
or the old Australian promo poster from PTC BURP, where I got elected the
PHB, standing like a dork at the console of a 9840 cabinet (I think I was
the only one in a long sleeve shirt that day, and had an emergency tie at
the back of my desk drawer, so...)