[TUHS] TeX and groff (was: roff(7))

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 07:04:07 AEST 2022

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 3:37 PM Richard Salz <rich.salz at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's a double edged sword.  TeX looks better but you instantly know it is
>> TeX, it has a particular look.  Troff looks just fine to me, and you don't
>> know it is Troff, Word, or what.
>>

> Oh, does *roff support Comic Sans now?

This is interesting; I've always felt like I could pick out troff pretty
readily; I agree that TeX has a certain "look" to it (at least by default),
but I always felt the same about troff as well.

Less flippantly, I know it's TeX is probably mostly about the fonts.

Agreed, I suspect the same is true of my subjective interpretation of troff
as well. Well, with TeX, it's the fonts and the math.

        - Dan C.