[TUHS] Demise of TeX and groff (was: roff(7))

Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) lyndon at orthanc.ca
Tue Jan 11 12:13:43 AEST 2022

Greg 'groggy' Lehey writes:

> As long as man pages are formatted with ?roff, I don't see it going
> away.  I don't suppose many people use troff any more, but there are
> enough of us, and as long as man pages stay the way they are, I don't
> think we're in any danger.

Well there is mandoc(1).  But as time goes by they just seem to be
re-implementing nroff.  Of course that *must* be easier than just
learning n/troff in the first place :-P

I really don't understand this need to throw troff overboard.  The
code, both GNU and AT&T implementations, has been rock solid for
decades.  It's not like there are portability issues moving it
between platforms.  Provided the kiddies don't get in there and
linuxify the code, of course.

--lyndon