[TUHS] Demise of TeX and groff (was: roff(7))

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Jan 12 05:20:33 AEST 2022

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 10:48 AM Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> I do believe that you are correct that both the sources (and associated
> binaries) to original nroff/groff and ditroff were licensed and needed and
> an AT&T license, but not the documents themselves.

I assume you mean s/groff/troff/.  There must have been some public access
to the documentation like this that allowed James Clark to develop groff in
the 1987-91 time frame, though.  It's still the *roff shipped with *BSD.

dformat, a pic preprocessor by Jon Bentley that displays bits-in-a-word
pictures, is now available at <https://github.com/arnoldrobbins/dformat>;
it's written in awk.