[TUHS] Demise of TeX and groff (was: roff(7))

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Wed Jan 12 06:26:12 AEST 2022

Larry McVoy writes:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 12:15:43PM -0800, Jon Steinhart wrote:
> > The big thing missing from *roff from a publishing point of view is
> > a good way to make comments and respond to them.  Kind of a must-have
> > when working with human (not text) editors.
>
> Source code control for the win.

Well, you're correct, but not practical with human editors.  I'm not
talking about revision history, I'm talking about the ability to easily
highlight a portion of text and comment "did you mean foo?" and so on.
That part of the production process feedback loop is missing.  Of course,
with *roff one could mostly produce one's own stuff without needing human
editors and a production staff.