[TUHS] Demise of TeX and groff (was: roff(7))

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Wed Jan 12 07:03:13 AEST 2022

Larry McVoy writes:
> He editted the roff input directly.  I gave him a copy of BitKeeper
> and he used that to check in.  Comments were check in comments.

Yeah, I get this.  But I was dealing with a publisher whose staff was
trained differently and weren't going to learn roff just for me.  They
(No Starch Press) do a lot of books per year, and it didn't make sense
for them to retrain just for me.  And, it wasn't just one editor; there
were many passes with many different editors, some of whom were contract
editors that Bill wasn't going to pay to learn new stuff.

Bottom line is that I think that it would be awesome to have a WYSIWYG
front end to the roff tools.  Clearly not impossible as even Word and
such as some sort of back end format which was only made possible by
calling it markup instead of macros :-)