[TUHS] Coastal cultures, collaboration, creativity and Sun vs DEC.

John P. Linderman jpl.jpl at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 08:17:17 AEST 2022

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 3:45 PM Rob Pike <robpike at gmail.com> wrote:

Similar. Everyone at Bell Labs was so *proper*.  (Except Ken, of course.
> Ken is *sui generis*, and a Californian).

Perhaps (probably maybe) I misunderstand. There was nothing "proper" about
the Peter face on the water tower, or lock-picking a boot to move it to a
patrol car, of Scott Knaur wandering the halls in a Darth Vader costume, or
Jellicat wearing a Cats costume, or a thousand other examples. There was a
lot of playfulness in the Labs (at least in the early days), and I think it
was wonderful.