[TUHS] Demise of TeX and groff (was: roff(7))

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Wed Jan 12 18:54:13 AEST 2022

Clem,

Once again, you have the timeline wrong on all this. The ditroff work
was started in the summer of 1979, well after V6, Typesetter C and
V7.  Details are available at https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~bwk/202/202paper.pdf
and https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~bwk/202/summer.reconstructed.pdf.

Perhaps Doug can set the history straight on troff. Here is my understanding,
corrections (from Doug) welcome:

- Ossanna wrote the original nroff in assembly language
- He rewrote it in C when the C/A/T was acquired
  At that time nroff/troff were built from mostly the same sources (as
  can be seen in the archives).

Thanks,

Arnold