[TUHS] TeX and groff (was: roff(7))

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Wed Jan 12 20:38:23 AEST 2022

Hi Jon,

> I never understood "interpolating a register" to have any relation to
> the definition of interpolate that I learned in math.

The first definition makes sense of it:

    1. (transitive, intransitive) To introduce (something) between other
    things; especially to insert (possibly spurious) words into a text.

        in verse 74, the second line is clearly interpolated

    2. (mathematics) To estimate the value of a function between two
    tabulated points.

    3. (computing) During the course of processing some data, and in
    response to a directive in that data, to fetch data from a different
    source and process it in-line along with the original data.

        ― https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/interpolate

--
Cheers, Ralph.