[TUHS] *roff history as told to GNU

Dan Halbert halbert at halwitz.org
Thu Jan 13 04:34:45 AEST 2022

On 1/12/22 13:06, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Hi, Dan,
>
> At 2022-01-12T11:33:35-0500, Dan Cross wrote:
>> I have some questions about the earlier history.
>>
>> I've been collecting a detailed narrative history not just of the *roff
>> _programs_ but also of the development on the language in the roff(7)
>> manual page.  Below I'll share a current chunk of it that is planned for
>> the next release (groff 1.23).  It has been heavily revised since
>> groff 1.22.4.  Many of my revisions have been motivated by accounts from
>> this list, from the "history of man pages" (more of a history of troff)
>> at manpages.bsd.lv, and the minnie TUHS archive.

I used RUNOFF on TOPS-10 in 1971, I think, and eventually also on TENEX
and TOPS-20. It probably was available earlier than that. Your history
is covering the Unix side, but there is also a pretty robust DEC side.
It was available on pretty much all the DEC machines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TYPSET_and_RUNOFF has some mentions.

Dan H.