[TUHS] struct(1) revived! And a request for help

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Thu Jan 13 16:30:56 AEST 2022

> On Jan 12, 2022, at 20:23, Douglas McIlroy <douglas.mcilroy at dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>
> ... users' reports that the derived Ratfort was easier to
> understand than the Fortran they had written themselves.

In the late 70's, I started working on some Fortran code for an astrophysicist.  The code was written in Fortran II and I found it very difficult to read.  So, I turned it into VAX VMS Fortran 77 (not Ratfor, but a lot closer to it :-).

The scientist was _not_ happy, saying that he would no longer be able to read his code.  I informed him that (a) Fortran 77 was the current standard and (b) he was welcome to go back to his Fortran II version, but that he'd have to do so without my assistance.  He grumbled a bit, but acquiesced...

-r