[TUHS] FYI: Internet Old Farts Club

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Sat Jan 29 18:48:09 AEST 2022

On 1/29/22, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> If we need another place for old farts to hang out, there are many.
> I like groups.io, it's free for most stuff, it's super easy to be
> a moderator, I moderate 12 groups there and am a member of a bunch
> more.  What they call groups, we would call an email list with a
> bunch of knobs that help keep things sane.

I can speak only for myself, but I love that TUHS/COFF mailing lists
are still _the real_ mailing lists managed the old school way.  I hate
all those modern web 2.0 technologies with extremely bloated js stacks
which you can only use if you have the latest version of Chrome.  I am
still using old Atari DOS, Amiga Workbench, MS-DOS/Win9x/WinXP and of
course Linux/FreeBSD.

This is probably one of the last places on the Internet that is still
preserving one of its core ideas in the 80s/90s -- plain text
communication.  It has been slowly dying in the last 15 years.  Text
based Internet of the 80s and 90s has slowly been replaced by binary
protocols and image based interaction with a computer.

I still just love using text based protocols and command line and read
it on a real CRT monitor in full screen text mode.  We lost something
when the world moved on.

So please do not go anywhere....

--Andy