[TUHS] FYI: Internet Old Farts Club

Seth J. Morabito web at loomcom.com
Sun Jan 30 03:20:23 AEST 2022

Andy Kosela <akosela at andykosela.com> writes:

> I can speak only for myself, but I love that TUHS/COFF mailing lists
> are still _the real_ mailing lists managed the old school way.
> [...]
> So please do not go anywhere....

At the risk of sounding like a luddite, you're not alone, I'm right
there with you. I'm certainly not opposed to innovation, not at all!
There are some modern technologies that absolutely excite me and make me
giddy to play around with. Unfortunately, all too often if feels like
we're just spinning our wheels by doing the same things over and over
again, but this time, more bloated.

Increasingly, I'm asking myself: "Does this actually innovate, or is it
just performative? Have I failed to research and read about existing
techniques before I try to invent something that's already been
invented, but this time in a 3 GB Electron app? Does the UX help, or
hurt? Can colorblind people use it? Can people with vision impairment
use it? Can people without access to broadband use it?"

The Internet was a much more level playing field 20-30 years ago than it
is now, and I'd like to keep what's left of that level playing field
level as long as I can.

> --Andy

-Seth