[TUHS] "9 skills our grandkids won't have" - Is this a TUHS topic?

Marshall Conover marzhall.o at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 00:08:34 AEST 2022

A fun one: Using folders.

People in their early 20s and younger - mostly those who grew up with
iPhones, Androids and Ipads - didn't interact with filesystems.
Instead, they grew up using apps that handled storage for them. When
they wanted a video, they were looking for it in a streaming app, and
they used the app's search function. If they were looking at photos,
it was much the same. Because of this, as hard as it is to believe,
they don't really grok the concept - and this keeps popping up, to my
delight.

It initially popped into my field of view last year, when an astro
professor was running into trouble with undergrad students. The
professor was asking the students to put certain data into certain
folders, but the students fundamentally didn't understand what
"putting certain data in certain folders" meant:
https://twitter.com/saavikford/status/1425235201047908359

I love this quote from the professor, though unfortunately the tweet
prompting it was deleted. The professor was asked something like "do
the students not understand how drawers work?" Her response was, "They
fail to grasp that the idea of drawers themselves might exist. Because
they have a perfectly valid system of a laundry basket and a robot
that retrieves exactly the sock they want when they want it (as I'm
finally figuring out). Or something like that, anyway."

And this continues to pop up - I saw a reddit thread the other day
that brought up entry-level computer science students who are coming
in not understanding folders at all. It's being added to the list of
abstractions that most people don't interact with day-to-day anymore,
and which must be explained.

With that said, I have a friend my age (30s) who enjoys bringing up
their conviction that the Zoomers are correct, and hierarchical
filesystems should go the way of the dinosaur - with
searchability/tagging being the correct way to handle storage. That
could also be a fun discussion for the ML.

One other fun note for the prompt. Someone noted that, working at an
apple store, they kept seeing young people use the caps lock key even
when just typing the first letter of the sentence; it then clicked
that this is closest to how phone keyboards work, and is likely where
they got the muscle memory from.

Hope you're all having a nice morning,

Marshall