[TUHS] "9 skills our grandkids won't have" - Is this a TUHS topic?

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 00:32:02 AEST 2022

Every time I teach a course that deals with the terminal, I have to have
a complete lecture on files, filesystems and the concept of current
directory. It is a rare exception that I get students who know them from
prior experience. This includes folks into their 40's.

in the spirit of what our grandkids won't have skills (or knowledge) for:

Our grandkids won't go looking for bent pins on their video cables or
know that's why their normally colorful view of the world suddenly tints
cyanish...
or that a crossover's a cable
or that whiz-bang programming languages of the modern era are still
playing catch-up to ALGOL 1960 and other brilliant languages of the 20th
century
or that there was a time when current decided 0's and 1's rather than
voltage
they'll be endlessly frustrated by CD/DVDs even if they can find a
player - some working and some not (writeables have significant
calibration and/or deterioration issues) - oh wait, that last one's not
my grandkids, it's me :).