[TUHS] "9 skills our grandkids won't have" - Is this a TUHS topic?

Adam Thornton athornton at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 01:55:41 AEST 2022

> On Jun 30, 2022, at 6:14 AM, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
>
> What are the 1970’s & 1980’s Computing / IT skills “our grandkids won’t have”?

80s: being able to understand more or less what the whole machine was doing at any given time.  I consider myself fortunate that I grew up on 80s micros where the machines were powerful enough to do interesting-to-a-bright-12-year-old things (like, say, Choplifter), but small enough that...well, there's only 64K, only one instruction is operating at a time, the sound-and-video-coprocessor-(if-any)-APIs are tiny, if you're a determined bright 12-year-old, you can figure out how it's doing what it's doing.

This is post-80s, but:

Massive midrange hearing loss in their 40s and 50s because of their late 20s and 30s being spent inside very very noisy datacenters.

Not that I'm bitter.  Just it would have been nice if my parents were right and it had been that loud rock 'n' roll rather than, you know, _fans_.

Adam