[TUHS] "9 skills our grandkids won't have" - Is this a TUHS topic?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Jul 3 10:08:25 AEST 2022

On Sat, Jul 2, 2022 at 7:02 PM Mark Sutton <mes at lazo.ca> wrote:

> /2 6:05:30 AM PDT, Ori Idan <ori at heliconbooks.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 7:38 PM Paul Winalski <paul.winalski at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> \
>>

>>> o why CTRL/S and CTRL/Q are used for flow control in a shell command
>>> line session
>>>
>> Also would be happy to know.

ASCII reserved four characters, ^Q through ^T, for unspecified device
controls.  The ASR 33 Teletype, which had a built-in paper tape reader and
punch, allowed programmatic control of these devices using these
characters:  ^Q started the reader (assuming paper tape was in it) and ^S
stopped it.  In classic Teletype use, the protocol was bidirectional.  (By
the same token, ^R started the punch, which meant that characters sent to
the terminal were punched as well as printed, and ^T stopped it.

Some DEC OSes used ^T to print a single-line status of the current
process.  I do not know why ^C (end of text, as opposed to ^D which is end
of transmission) took on its present role, but it was definitely already
true in early DEC OSes.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic-core_memory