[TUHS] Unix V8 Chaosnet, any takers?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Jul 17 03:02:06 AEST 2022

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 9:51 AM Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

>     > From: Warner Losh
>
>     > V7 could mean a modification of net unix
>
> What's "net unix" anyway? I know of the Net releases from CSRG, but this
> much precedes that.

I'm referring to the University of Illinois distribution that's in TUHS as
Distributions/Early_Networking/NOSC.
Steve Holmgren led the effort, and it was quite popular. It was V6 based
(it came out in late V5 time frame,
just before V6 was released and quickly updated, the version we have
appears to be based on a pure V6
release). I have seen references to it in the ARPAnet census documents
running on both V6 and V7 (though
mostly they were silent about which version). It was NCP, not TCP/IP. I
thought this was the normal nomenclature
of the time, but I may be mistaken.

> What did people with PDP-11 V7 who wanted TCP/IP do, anyway?

We also have BBN's stack as well in Distributions/Early_Networking/BBN. It
appears to be for an 11/40, 11/45
or 11/70, though that's based purely on different files having '70', '45'
and '40' in their name. These are also based
on V6 (at least the code we have has a V6 layout and the few files I diff'd
to V6 were pretty close). There's also an
early VAX version in that directory as well.

One could adapt either of these to V7, and I seem to recall seeing
references to people that did that in the stuff
I read for some of my early Unix talks, but I can't seem to find it right
now.

Warner