[TUHS] Unix V8 Chaosnet, any takers?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Jul 18 09:39:59 AEST 2022

    > From: Warner Losh

    >> What's "net unix" anyway?

    >  I'm referring to the University of Illinois distribution

Ah, OK.

    > I have seen references to it in the ARPAnet census documents running on
    > both V6 and V7 (though mostly they were silent about which version).

Well, V7 came out in January, 1979, and NCP wasn't turned off until January,
1983, so people had a lot of time to get it running under V7.

    > I thought this was the normal nomenclature of the time, but I may be
    > mistaken.

I'm not sure what it was usually called; we didn't have much contact with it
at MIT (although I had the source; I'm the one that provided it to TUHS).

The problem was that although MIT had two IMPs, all the ports on them were
spoken for, for big time-sharing mainframes (4 PDP-10's running ITS; 1
running TWENEX; a Multics), so there were no ports available to plug in a
lowly PDP-11. (We were unable to get an IP gateway (router) onto the ARPANET
until MIT got some of the first C/30 IMPs.) So we had no use for the NCP Unix
(which I vaguely recall was described as 'the ARPANET Unix from UIll').

	Noel