[TUHS] Unix V8 Chaosnet, any takers?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Jul 19 03:07:35 AEST 2022

    > From: Ron Natalie

    > We had NCP running on the JHU kernel

Which NCP implementation was that, the one from UIUC, or something else? (I'm
curious about the one that someone here - I forget who - mentioned, where
IIRC they thought it was a new one, not the UIUC one. I'm a little boggled
that with so little use for one - there weren't many NCP sites - someone
would have gone to all the work to do another one. But it's possible...)

If you all used the UIUC one, what did you call it? I looked through the email
about releases from NOSC (who seemed to be the focal point for maintaining
it at one point):

  https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SRI-NOSC/new/dist.log

but it doesn't give a name for it. The documentation:

  https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SRI-NOSC/doc/IllinoisNCP.nr

doesn't either (other than 'Illinois NCP').

It does seem that they were semi-using V7; see e.g.:

  https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SRI-NOSC/green/c.c

but the code looks very V6-ish; see e.g.:

  https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SRI-NOSC/ken/text.c

	Noel