[TUHS] Documentation for Unix 4.0

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Jun 8 02:57:59 AEST 2022

On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 5:20 AM <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:

> There's a lot of stuff there that's familiar, straight from V7.
> But yes, there's also a lot of stuff that's unique to USG Unix of the time.

As a non-insider, here's what I see that's unfamiliar:

In Volume 1:

   - -mv macros for viewgraphs and slides
   - the *full* C reference manual (oopsie!) without the "late K&R" addendum
   - make(1) with E.G. Bradford's changes
   - the sdb(1) debugger

In Volume 2:

   - an SCCS front end (not the same as the BSD one)
   - a bunch of graphics commands
   - ged(1g), a graphics editor
   - stat, tools for analyzing data
   - vpm, the Virtual Protocol Machine for outboard comms
   - Unix RJE
   - Stand-Alone I/O Library for bare-metal programs
   - Equipment Test Package