[TUHS] Sockets vs Streams (was Re: forgotten versions

Paul Winalski paul.winalski at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 03:43:13 AEST 2022

On 6/17/22, Bakul Shah <bakul at iitbombay.org> wrote:

> The stream abstraction is a nice (c)lean abstraction but it doesn't
> quite work for things like multicast or datagrams in general.

Every networking protocol I know of involves the exchange of discrete
packets of data and thus is inherently record-based.  In my
experience, layering a stream-oriented interface on top of that
usually means that the software at the layers above that have to take
extra measures to reconstruct the original record-oriented packets.

-Paul W.