[TUHS] forgotten versions

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Mon Jun 20 04:32:45 AEST 2022

On Sun, Jun 19, 2022 at 10:47:23AM -0400, Kenneth Goodwin wrote:
> Just chiming in a bit..
>
> Rob, it might be interesting to old geezers like me as well as newbies
> entering the field to get a perspective on Plan 9 and its evolution. The
> motivations behind it. What your group was trying to accomplish,  the
> approach, pitfalls and the entire decision making process as things went
> along. Even things that went horribly wrong and what happened etc.

I'll second that.  I think it would be really helpful.

There was a time when I was reviewing a paper which made a bunch of
claims about what Plan 9 was trying to accomplish and in particular
about what the ultimate design goals for a particular component of
Plan 9.  (I won't go into further details since as far as I know, that
paper was never published.)

In any case, since I wasn't familiar with the history of Plan 9 to
evaluate these claims, with the permission of the PC chairs, I found
someone who had been part of the Plan 9 team, and asked them to review
certain passages for accuracy, and they said, "Uh, no.... that's
totally not the case.  They're completely wrong."

So if someone were willing to create additional write ups about
lessons learned, or if that's too much work, maybe someone could do
some interview for a podcast or a vlog, that would be really
excellent.

						- Ted