[TUHS] RFS (was Re: Re: forgotten versions)

Derek Fawcus dfawcus+lists-tuhs at employees.org
Mon Jun 20 06:46:31 AEST 2022

On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 10:00:19PM -0700, Kevin Bowling wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 5:35 PM Douglas McIlroy douglas.mcilroy at dartmouth.edu> wrote:
> >
> > V8 also had Peter Weinberger's Remote File System. Unlike NFS, RFS
> > mapped UIDS, thus allowing files to be shared among computers in
> > different jurisdictions with different UID lists. Unfortunately, RFS
> > went the way of Reiser paging.
>
> I believe RFS shipped in SVR3, at least as a package for the 3b2.

Apparently. I've a book (ISBN 0-672-48440-4) with a short chapter on it within, authored by Douglas Harris.

It happens to state:

  AT&T's approach towards UNIX System V, Release 3.0 and beyond is to provide a /Remote File System/ (RFS) that is an extension of the ordinary file system arrangement. […]

  […]

  Remote File System Release 1.0 was first introduced in 1986 with Release 3.0 of UNIX System V for AT&T 3B2 machines with Starlan network connections. It makes heavy use of STREAMS, which were also introduced at that time. The next release RFS 1.1, accompanying System V Release 3.1, was greatly enhanced. At this time releases for other machines became available. In particular, with the release of a standard UNIX for Intel 80386-based machines that incorporated STREAMS, vendors of networking products could arrange for RFS to operate with those products, and RFS could run over Ethernet or any other network that could support a solid transport connection such as TCP/IP or NetBIOS. […]

So that may be somewhere to search, possibly someone can find a '386 image with it included?

DF