[TUHS] RFS (was Re: Re: forgotten versions)

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Mon Jun 20 14:50:01 AEST 2022

RFS was not Peter's code. It was stateful, which had advantages
and disadvantages.  And, as someone else mentioned, if two systems
were binary compatible, remote device access worked, including ioctls.

IIRC Steve Rago ported Peter's code to System V Release 4,
and publilshed a paper about it, but I don't think the code ever
escaped AT&T.

System V Release 4 sorta overdid the special file system thing;
as I recall /dev/fd was done as a file system!

FWIW,

Arnold