[TUHS] RFS (was Re: Re: forgotten versions)

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Mon Jun 20 16:53:22 AEST 2022

I'll note there was another RFS that was posted to net.sources and
net.unix-wizards by Todd Brunhoff in January 1986.  This was
completely different from the AT&T System V's; Todd's RFS was done as
part of his Master's Degree at the University of Denver, and it was
heavily dependant on BSD 4.2/4.3's sockets interface.

For more information, see:

   https://groups.google.com/g/net.unix-wizards/c/QwRVsZS9jEM/m/V4ZI64CKopsJ?pli=1

We used this version of RFS at MIT Project Athena for a while before
switching to AFS, and it's mentioned in Professor Saltzer's Athena
Technical Plan, in the section entitled, "The Athena File Storage
Model":

    https://web.mit.edu/saltzer/www/publications/athenaplan/c.6.pdf

Project Athena integrated MIT Kerberos (Version 4) into both NFS and
RFS, and of course AFS used Kerberos for its authentication tokens.

     	    	       	    	     	     - Ted