[TUHS] Research Datakit notes

John Labovitz johnl at johnlabovitz.com
Wed Jun 29 03:43:44 AEST 2022

I’m generally a lurker here, but this has been an interesting conversation to observe. I often hesitate to post, as to not offend you folks who literally invented this stuff, but I thought it might be helpful to share some experiences with socket-based I/O.

For the first time in ~20 years, I’ve recently been writing low-level (eg, not through a library layer/framework) socket code in straight C, for an art project based on an ESP32 embedded/SoC. I first played around with the socket API in the mid-80s, and then wrote a lot of socket-using code in the 1990s for the Watchguard Firebox, the first Linux-based appliance firewall.

I have to say that I really enjoying programming with sockets. I feel that it *does* make a lot of sense if I'm thinking directly about the TCP/IP stack, *and* if my code has a good 'impedance match' to the protocols. If I’m writing a server, I’m dealing with connections and queues and various-sized packets/messages/blocks, which have to fit into some decision of memory usage (often true in embedded systems). Usually I’m not simply writing, say, a file server that simply reads from disc and sends bytes out through a stream and then calls close().

I also believe that the sockets API really comes into its own with high-capacity, non-threaded, non-blocking servers or clients — that is, ones that use select() or poll() and then recv() and send() or their variants. I’m sure that if I didn’t have a sockets API and only had open(), read(), write(), etc., I could make it work, but there’s something almost beautiful that happens at a large scale with many non-blocking sockets (see: the reactor pattern) that I don’t think would translate as well with a typical everything-is-a-file model.

My opinion solely, of course. But I’m simply happy that both socket- and file-based APIs exist. Each has their purpose.

—John