[TUHS] Old screen editors

Ron Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Wed Mar 30 06:54:20 AEST 2022

>Stallman didn't _originate_ the body of stuff that eventually turned into ITS
>EMACS, although he did take over maintenance of it once it was rolling; and
>later wrote Gnu Emacs from scratch himself.

Well, even that is a bit inaccurate.  He implemented emacs by wrapping
new code around James Gosling's (also licensed as Unipress) EMACS.
After a bit of a protracted argument, he finally wrote his own stuff to
get the infringing code out.

 >  that I've been using
 > heavily customized Epsilon for decades, which is written completely in EEL
 > dialect of C enhanced with editing primitives like buffers, etc), that's clearly very confused.

I was an Epsilon user as well.

The "self documenting" aspects of EMACS are kind of laughable as well.   I'll start with using backspace for the help key and go from there :)