[TUHS] Alive?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Mar 30 07:53:46 AEST 2022

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 4:46 PM Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> I'm always amused by people who think that their country's local
> customs (not just DST) are world-wide.

THEODOTUS. Caesar: you are a stranger here, and not conversant with our
laws. The kings and queens of Egypt may not marry except with their own
royal blood. Ptolemy and Cleopatra are born king and consort just as they
are born brother and sister.BRITANNUS (shocked).
Caesar: this is not proper.

THEODOTUS (outraged).
How!

CAESAR (recovering his self-possession).
Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of
his tribe and island are the laws of nature.BRITANNUS. On the contrary,
Caesar, it is these Egyptians who are barbarians; and you do wrong to
encourage them. I say it is a scandal.

― George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra
<https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1689832>