[TUHS] First Unix-like OSes not derived from AT&T code?

Kenneth Goodwin kennethgoodwin56 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 12:08:51 AEST 2022

My understanding of AIX was that IBM licensed the System V source code and
then proceeded to "make it their own". I had a days experience with it on a
POS cash register fixing a client issue. The shocker - they changed all the
error messages to error codes with a look at the manual requirement.

Not sure if this is true in its entirety or not.
But that's what I recall, thst it was not a from scratch rewrite but more
along the lines of other vendor UNIX clones of the time.
License the source, change the name and then beat it to death.