[TUHS] First Unix-like OSes not derived from AT&T code?

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Tue May 3 00:50:41 AEST 2022

Someone mentioned the weird message format on AIX. IBM, in many
things, was out there ahead of everyone. One of those areas was in
"the message catalog", sample doc here:
https://www-40.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc00100.nsf/pages/zOSV2R3SA380673/$file/ieam600_v2r3.pdf

For every message there was a short identifier that was the message
catalog id, the one that sticks in my mind from years as an operator
is IEA013I, which is not in that doc ... IEA013E is, however.

This was useful for internationalization. IOW, IBM got it i8n well
ahead of a lot of us, in the 19[67]0s or so? The message catalog did
not change; the allegedly human readable message was in the local
language, if that applied.

Which comes to a prank we pulled on a friend. One evening in 1977, we
replaced all shell messages with IBM message catalog style messages,
and then set that as their login shell.

As you might guess, they were *not* amused ;-)