[TUHS] First Unix-like OSes not derived from AT&T code?

Ronald Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Wed May 11 06:18:53 AEST 2022

Armando’s plates didn’t say ULTRIX.   The ULTRIX plates cae later (some
complete marketing disaster at DEC).

Armondo’s plate said UNIX.    At one USENIX meeting, Armando got up and
made an announcement that for many years UNIX and DEC had been
synonymous, but DEC had never realized it.   He was therefore happy to
announce the first UNIX license from DEC and held out up one of the
plates.     I still have mine.

Armondo had a NH vanity plate that said UNIX (like the replicas given
away).   He also had one of the DEC replicas on his car complete with
the state renewal stickers.   At one point it went missing.   He
announced that on the net, which led to a lot of people mentioning that
they hadn’t seen it wherever they were.   I believe he ultimately did
recover it.