[TUHS] First Unix-like OSes not derived from AT&T code?

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Thu May 12 10:16:42 AEST 2022

I don't think you were misguided. I do think Ultrix was a contained
problem for code portability, probably because enough pre-existing
code came into Sun, it was a compiler toolchain pre-motivated to work
in Vax architecture machinecode.

HP-UX on the other hand, and Apollos unix under Domain/OS, I recall as
a nightmare. I regularly had to try and get current spec sendmail
working on these, because both platforms were in use in Chemical
Engineering and NMR related contexts as device controller and display
platforms in the uni I worked in. Portable code onto these worlds, was
frankly horrid: HP believed a single -lcompat type library provided
everything you needed when in fact, #include path hell was inches
away.

Unisys was freaky bad. Their native IPv4 format for an address used
comma, not dot as the dotted-quad separator.