[TUHS] Document management in Unix, back in the day?

Bakul Shah bakul at iitbombay.org
Fri May 13 12:41:32 AEST 2022

On Feb 4, 2022, at 12:51 PM, John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 12:39 PM Seth J. Morabito <web at loomcom.com> wrote:
>
> Besides, it's fun to scribble notes all over printouts and Xeroxes :^)
>
> I mark up a printout with scribbles ("hourglasses and arrows and a documentation resource for each one, sayin' what they was about, to be used in evidence against us"[*]) and then re-transcribe them into the original electronic doc.  I wish I had a better approach that wasn't so environmentally destructive, but I just don't notice errors as easily when they're just on the screen.
>
> [*] See <https://web.archive.org/web/20210321003206/http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan/alice_flame.txt>. With feeling.

There are iPad apps such as CollaNote (free) & GoodNotes ($)
which allow you to write/scribble/doodle with an Apple
Pencil. Note the same experience but there are some other
benefits. You can zoom in to write small, easy ink color
change, moving portions of written text, OCR, search,
hyperlinks, digital planners, synchronized audio (with
writing) etc. You can paste in pictures, videos, pdf and so
on. And now you can easily scribble/highlight on any PDF etc.
For some things I still prefer computation notebooks with 4x4
Quad light green paper but increasingly I am relying on the
iADHD device!  In any case I still prefer writing as opposed
to typing when {t,m}aking notes and for design notes or
sketching new ideas. The writing experience on the ipad is
not great even with a paperLike(TM) plastic screen protector
But I can live with that.

In contrast the Unix GUI experience is falling further and
further behind. Wish it weren't so.

I haven't used any e-ink device as they are expensive and they
seem limited in other ways compared to the iPad.