[TUHS] Early Unix and Keyboard Skills

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Nov 2 23:28:38 AEST 2022

On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 3:13 AM Rob Pike <robpike at gmail.com> wrote

> bwk was one who could smash out the text faster than many. His having
> learned on a teletype, the keyboard would resound with the impact of his
> forceful keystrokes.

Funny, I remember the first time I got to use something other than an ASR33
or an ASR28 sometime time in the early 1970s I think.    IIRC  It was a Tek
4010, but the memory at the time of being amazed that I did not need so
much energy to push the keys  and how quiet it was.  Before then I had
equated computing with the feel, sounds, and machine oil smells of Teletype
products. That said, when the VT52 came out in the mid-70s the DEC keyboard
on it was far from the feel of the IBM Selectric III - which was considered
the 'touch typist standard'
ᐧ