[TUHS] Early Unix and Keyboard Skills

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Nov 3 13:01:29 AEST 2022

The 33 and 28 needed at least two null chars after the <CR> or it would
lose chars as there was no buffering.  The Unix driver has the CR delay
modes to support it.  It’s UART as it were was mechanical and a real work
of art.   I remember spending a few hours trying to figure out how it
worked.

As for the LA120 yeah you really needed to use real flow control which
could be a problem on DL11s and DZs ports.   SW flow was less than
prefect.  However, the Able version of the DH supported flow in hardware
(RTS/CTS style) so you could set them to interface with the host at 960cps
and then print as fast as possible swiping back and forth on the paper as
the local microprocessor in the decwritter buffered everything.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 9:48 PM Ronald Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:

> I’m not sure the model 33 required a carriage return delay.   At 110 baud
> it had plenty of time to move the carriage. back.
> Other printers (especially faster ones) weren’t so lucky, but the LA36
> decwriter had a catchup mode to print the backlog after a return.
> The LA120 was boustrophedonic so returns weren’t as much of an issue.

Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual