[TUHS] vi in cooked mode?

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Fri Nov 4 16:43:09 AEST 2022

Clem Cole wrote:
> probably the next was Zimmerman (a.k.a. CCA) EMACS, then GNU hacked
> Gosling's version (that strange trip has been discussed elsewhere and
> I'll not add it here).  Zimmer's version was 'truer' to the original
> MIT/PDP-10 version from ITS than Gosling but Steve had built it when
> he worked for CCA so it was licensed (which we had a Masscomp and made
> available to our customers).

I recently found a copy of CCA Emacs.  It's from 1983 and does not yet
have the Elisp extension language.  CCA was bought by Rocket Software,
so they own it now.  I asked permission to put it online, but
unfortunately they said no.

Ron Natalie wrote:
> We used Montgomery’s EMACS and then JOVE on the PDP-11 UNIXes.

Montgomery kindly agreed to putting a copy of his editor here, and wrote
about its history:

https://github.com/larsbrinkhoff/emacs-history/tree/sources/ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/%7Ejnc/tech/unix/emacs
https://github.com/larsbrinkhoff/emacs-history/blob/sources/docs/Montgomery%20Emacs%20History.txt