[TUHS] vi in cooked mode?

Bakul Shah bakul at iitbombay.org
Sat Nov 5 13:44:22 AEST 2022

Wordstar came out in 1978, BDS C in 1979. MINCE was written in BDS C
so it probably didn't come with BDS C (but BDS C came with MINCE)!

In 1981/82 I ported Gosling Emacs to the Fortune box. It was slow
as molasses. My memory is that was due to it using bitfields, for
which our C compiler produced pretty bad code. But I didn't really
investigate it in any detail. In contrast vi & e (Rand editor as
further hacked on by Dave Yost) were so much better, especially on
a 60 line Ann Arbor Ambassador.