[TUHS] LOC [was Re: Re: Re.: Princeton's "Unix: An Oral History": who was in the team in "The Attic"?

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 18:41:24 AEST 2022

On Tue, Nov 8, 2022, 1:57 PM Marc Donner <marc.donner at gmail.com> wrote:

> My buds in the SRE community confirm that Twitter laid off the entire SRE
> team, since of course they didn't write enough code.  Good luck with
> keeping the system up.

It's ok. I'm sure users can just fax problem reports to Elon.

To tie this back to TUHS a little bit...when did being a "sysadmin" become
a thing unto itself? And is it just me, or has that largely been superceded
by SRE (which I think of as what one used to, perhaps, call a "system
programmer") and DevOps, which feels like a more traditional Unix-y kind of
thing?

        - Dan C.

=====