[TUHS] [OT?] 1993 'Sourceware' paper anniversary. What was right & any surprises?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Nov 10 08:16:48 AEST 2022

On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 09:01:42AM +1100, steve jenkin wrote:
> I???ve only recently stumbled across this paper.
>
> It gives the answer to one question I???ve had:
>
> 	Why did Linux become more popular than everything that came before it?

Yeah, that was a difficult time.  My boss, Ken Okin (SVP of all server
hardware) didn't like the switch from SunOS to SVR4 any more than I did.
He paid me to go argue with the execs for 6 months.  That paper was
the result.

It obviously went nowhere and Linux won.  Big surprise.

The one thing I learned in that 6 months was respect for the execs.
As an engineer, I had the luxury of taking the time to solve a problem and
know that I solved it correctly.  The execs didn't have that.  They had
to make decisions essentially with their gut, they couldn't afford the
time to figure out the right answer, they had to come up with the right
answer on the fly.  I don't think I could do that.