[TUHS] DG UNIX History

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sun Nov 13 11:56:24 AEST 2022

On Sat, Nov 12, 2022 at 02:36:05PM -0500, Clem Cole wrote:
> To be honest, I've forgotten many (most) of the details.  But that sounds
> about right.  As I remember it, it was like SunOS.  The key point was that
> the kernel only had one view of the memory system period, no FS
> buffer cache etc...which was a departure from many of the traditional UNIX
> implementations.    IIRC they did not support BSD's mmap -- but check the

It sounds like they could have supported mmap() easily.  I'd love to see
this kernel, it sounds to me like it was SunOS with nicely done SMP
support.  The guy that said he'd never seen anything like it before or
since, just makes me want to see it more.

I know someone who was friends with one of the kernel guys, haven't talked
to her in years but I'll see if I can find anything.