[TUHS] DG UNIX History

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Nov 15 08:31:52 AEST 2022

On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 5:12 PM Paul Ruizendaal <pnr at planet.nl> wrote:

> Following on from the exchange on TUHS about DG-UX, it would seem to me
> that the (Unix) unified cache was invented at least three times for Unix:

Not to quibble too much, but s/cache/memory/  I think is a fairer way of
saying that.

> - John Reiser at AT&T
> - At Sun
> - At DG

- At CMU (Mach)

The interesting thing again, is that while they while all of these
implementations seem to have been technologically 'better' - only Mach
lived on from the original developers.  And in the case of Mach, by the
time it was mainstream (macOS) the original implementation had been
replaced a few times - so while the concepts are there, I don't think much
of the Original CMU code is left in XNU/Darwin [or for that matter in the
OSF flavors -- Tru64 rewrote it but it died and the OSF/RI kernel never
went anywhere either].

As I said, the lesson to TUHS -- as much as I'm a techie and I am
interested in the 'proper' way of doing things ... "good enough" is often
what rules.

It's too bad none of the good memory implementations made it into
>>systems<< that lasted.

Clem
ᐧ