[TUHS] Reaction to the 3B2 at Bell Labs

Seth Morabito web at loomcom.com
Sun Nov 27 04:46:33 AEST 2022

Hello all,

I'm giving a presentation on the AT&T 3B2 at a local makerspace next month, and while I've been preparing the talk I became curious about an aspect that I don't know has been discussed elsewhere.

I'm well aware that the 3B2 was something of a market failure with not much penetration into the wider commercial UNIX space, but I'm very curious to know more about what the reaction was at Bell Labs. When AT&T entered the computer hardware market after the 1984 breakup, I get the impression that there wasn't very much interest in any of it at Bell Labs, is that true?

Can anyone recall what the general mood was regarding the 3B2 (and the 7300 and the 6300, I suppose!)

-Seth
--
  Seth Morabito
  Poulsbo, WA