[TUHS] Reaction to the 3B2 at Bell Labs

Rob Pike robpike at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 06:42:38 AEST 2022

It was not popular with CS Research, and we were not popular with them. We
were using VAXes, which the 3B series were attempting to compete against.
The VAX was not exactly graceful, architecturally, but the 3B series was
clumsier and less cost-effective. We weren't interested, despite frequently
applied pressure.

And, although a different topic, there was the way the commercialization of
the Blit forced the 68000 to be replaced by the BELLMAC-32 by essentially
the same people, or at least the same boss (Scanlon), which was a poor
decision on every dimension. The idea was to get BELLMACs out there to
drive up production, but the chip was far less suitable, and each one cost
about what a full Blit with a 68000 instead would have. A loss leader, bad
financially and bad technically.

On the other hand, as I resullt of I did port an OS and other software to
the BELLMAC-32 as a result of this work, and learned how badly it did
things like memory management and the interrupt vector setup, and how buggy
it was.

So there were not many warm feelings between 1127 and the computer division.

-rob