[TUHS] Fred Brooks died

Marc Donner marc.donner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 21:39:48 AEST 2022

In 1980 I applied to grad schools, including UNC.  I had read "The Mythical
Man-Month" by then, so I was floored one day sitting in my office when the
phone rang and I heard, "This is Fred Brooks."  I visited UNC where I saw
the famous row of clocks that Steve Bellovin mentions in his memorial
post.  The "System 360 Principles of Operation" remains one of the most
important pieces of writing in computer history, in my opinion, because it
dominated the hardware and established the principle that an architecture
ensures software execution.
=====
nygeek.net
mindthegapdialogs.com/home <https://www.mindthegapdialogs.com/home>