[TUHS] Reaction to the 3B2 at Bell Labs

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 08:33:12 AEST 2022

I was visiting Holmdel in 1981, and there was a tradeshow for the BellMAC
CPUs there, filling ground floor of the central atrium. There was some
swag, which I had for a few years, including refrigerator magnets. The one
I remember:
"Don't be alone, call MACphone!"

I remember reading an article in the early 80s pointing out that, due to
the scale of the Bell System, the center of the universe of semiconductor
fabrication at that time was ... Allentown, PA. Western Electric had an ad,
along the lines of, "who will create the 256 Kb memory part? WE will" -- WE
as in Western Electric.Those parts would have been fabbed in Allentown
IIRC.

 It is a bit hard to recall, much less believe. but PA, land of dead still
mills, the Molly Maguires, and underground coal mine fires that will burn
for centuries, also had silicon.